Laser Eye Surgery

Laser Eye surgery is one of the most common procedures in the UK, with over 100,00 successful Laser Eye Surgeries performed every year.

Since its introduction 25 years ago, Laser Eye Surgery has improved dramatically, thanks to advancements such as Wavefront Laser Eye Surgery and Bladeless Intralase. 99.9% of Laser Eye Surgeries achieve driving standards of vision, and 95% give 20:20 vision.

The two main types of Laser Eye surgery are Lasik & Lasek. While both work the same way – using a laser to reshape your eye and bring the lens back into focus – they differ in which layer of the Cornea they effect. Both are similar in terms of complication and subsequent price, although Lasek does require a longer period of recovery.

For many people, Laser Eye Surgery is done for both cosmetic reasons & convenience. As such, its not usually available on the NHS, however as technology has improved and laser eye surgery has become more mainstream, the finance industry has stepped up and you can now get laser eye surgery for a low monthly sum.

As techniques have improved, Laser Eye surgery has evolved beyond the point of being just for people who has problems with distance vision. Presyopia, which effects people in their mid-40s and beyond, is caused by the hardening of the lens in the back of the eye which is responsible for close vision, and there are now treatments available to restore lost quality-of-sight.

80% of the population are not suitible for laser eye surgery. This leaves 20% who are not – for these patients, there are a variety of alternative non-laser solutions available, such as Refractive Lens Exchanges.